After spending one night in Provo, Utah at the Utah Lake State Park we got up and made preparations to head to the Moab area. Not having reservations we prayed before we left about where to stay and headed across the park to empty our tanks. While doing our 'thing' Mike started talking to a guy that was also there preparing to leave. He asked where we were headed and Mike told him...he asked where we were staying and Mike told him we didn't really know yet. He proceeded to tell Mike about what he considered to be the 'epic' campground in the Moab area. He recommended Dead Horse Point State Park. Well, Mike thanked him and we headed out. After a few hours we made our way to the front gate of Dead Horse State Park and asked if they had any spots available. They only have 21 total. We were told there was one spot left and it was 28 feet long. Well our 5er is 34 feet long but we thought, what the heck, lets check it out anyway. Really? 28ft? Our 5er and our pickup fit in the spot with plenty of room to spare! Needless to say we were very grateful and extremely pleased! What an awesome place! While there we toured around the park, visited Canyonlands Natl' Park, Moab, and Arches Natl' Park. It was a packed but enjoyable 5 days. We had quite a bit of rain at night but we did not let that deter us!
On the downside, we discovered after leaving Elko that our refrigerator was not cooling like it should, and in fact our freezer compartment was completely thawed out. Well I threw a tri-tip in the crock pot trying to salvage what I could and we promptly moved everything into ice chests. We ordered a part for the frig and hopefully it will arrive Wednesday and we can be back in business again.
We are now here in Colorado for the next month and hope to do more frequent updates. Please enjoy our pics!
 |
| No, I am not fond of heights. Yes, I did crawl out on this ledge to get a photo with my iPhone! |
 |
| The Colorado River 2,000 feet below Dead Horse Point |
 |
| I sat down and scooted towards the ledge in this one. |
 |
| Now it's Mike's turn! |
 |
| This narrow passage leading onto Dead Horse Point. The story has it that horses were herded out her in the 'day' to await being sorted out. If a horse didn't make the cut they would sometimes be left out there to die with no food or water. |
 |
I just LOVE the view from this vantage point.
|
 |
| Looking through Mesa Arch in the Canyonlands Natl' Park |
 |
| What an awesome sight! Photos do NOT do it justice. |
 |
| Mike taking in the beautiful scenery... |
 |
| Just a small corner of the Canyonlands... |
 |
| I saw this rock formation way off in the distance. Zooming in it was not real sharp. It reminded me of an old barn so I had to take a photo... |
 |
| As we entered Arches Natl' Park I shot this out of the truck window. I wish this photo would convey the absolute grandeur of the rock formations throughout the park. I first saw this a few years ago and I know that my mouth was hanging open this time as we passed by. |
 |
| Some of the first rock formations as you enter Arches Natl' Park |
 |
| Left-Three Gossips, Right-Sheep Rock |
 |
| Tower of Babel |
 |
| Balance Rock with Sandstone Tower in the background |
 |
| North Window |
 |
| Double Arch |
 |
| Outside of the park but heading down to the main highway that leads to Moab stand these two rock formations. They are the Merrimac and the Monitor, named after two Civil War ships. |
 |
| Near the viewpoint of the Merrimac and the Monitor I saw this rock formation and had to snap a pic. HIS wonders never cease to amaze me.... |
 |
| Looking out our window, this is the road that leads into Moab. I was always in awe at the beauty all around us. |
2 comments:
Wow...what beautiful photos. It makes me one to hit the road to see the beautiful country God created. I am bummed to read about your refrigerator. I do hope the tri tip was delicious. Can't wait to see the next phase of your journey...family and Colorado. Love and miss you! BTW, love Mike's hat.
Thanks Sonja....the area we stayed in was as beautiful as any place we have ever been. Loved it.
LOL! Mike's hat! He bought that when we were in Ferndale...when we were in downtown Moab he left it on top of the truck and we were almost out of town when a trucker pulled up along side us motioning to his head. The light came on! Mike realized what he had done and raced back to the other end of town. Just as we got a visual on it out in the middle of the street a young kid ran out grabbed it and took off. I was yelling at Mike to cut through the Shell station and catch him. We did and he ran over and handed it to Mike and said, 'Nice hat!" He dodged a bullet on that one!
Post a Comment