We took a couple of days to get to my brother Darrell and sister-in-law Paige's house. We spent our first night in Salina, KS, and our second night in Columbia, MO. We finally arrived in Troy, TN where it was our plan just to layover for a few days and then we would return later in July to set awhile and visit. Since Darrell had a couple days off we actually stayed 5 nights. We didn't get to see as much of their kids as we would have enjoyed but we got together one evening and our nephew Brian came out from Nashville for a couple of nights. Looking forward to our return trip when we can spend more time together.
Once we got out of western Kansas the country started looking really nice...Missouri was beautiful and this campground that we spent the night in was a place where we would have enjoyed staying for awhile. They made a point of showing us where the storm shelter was in case any tornados headed our way!
The drive as we headed to Tennessee was beautiful. I caught the reflection of our rig in the side mirror of this big rig so I told Mike to slow down so I could snap a shot.
We arrived at Darrel and Paige's home and what an awesome sight it was! We had not been back to see them in three years. What a great place to just sit, relax and veg!
Whenever I am in Tennessee there are always certain places that I have to go back to, walk around, soak up the beauty and just say, 'Thank You Father, that You made a way for me to return'. One place that was calling my name was Kenton, TN. It was there several years ago that I first caught a glimpse of a white squirrel. Well with not a whole lot of coaxing I got Mike to take me there to see what we could find. It was my goal to find another and snap a shot. When we had been driving around and around and around and just about decided to call it quits, Mike made a right turn (after I said, 'go left') and lo and behold there was a white squirrel! I was thrilled! I hopped out of the truck and took a dozen or more photos. We actually saw three more when we were heading out but this little guy did not mind me, or my camera!
In the top four photos this is a place called Walnut Log. The movie U.S. Marshall's with Tommy Lee Jones was filmed here. When you are standing out here the sounds are incredible! The lily pads are huge!
**********************
On the Saturday that we were there, Paige, Brian and I went out early in the morning. On the way back we spotted this young eagle sitting proudly, high up in a tree. Just above him but almost hidden was a huge nest!
Saturday night Lacye and her husband Kevin (whom we had never had the privilege of meeting) came over for dinner. I should say, Kevin 'brought' dinner. He runs 'Grillin All Knight' out of their home and his food is phenomenal! He brought ribs and pulled pork that literally melted in your mouth. We are so looking forward to coming back and having some more! We were able to see Josh, Chelsea and the kids for just a short while and can't wait till we get back and can visit and take pics and get them posted!
Kevin, Lacye, Brayden, Shelby and Meredith. We had not met Brayden either before this visit and if I could, I would have put him in my pocket and brought him home!!
********************
On the night of the 'Supermoon' Paige and I got our camera's out and snapped a few photos while being eaten alive by mosquito's. The only shot that was worth a hoot was behind a tree so it looks a bit 'Halloween-ish'. Be sure to click it to see it full sized.
This spot is where the 'Grinder House' stood. He spent the night there while on his way to Washington D.C. and died there.
Inside the doorway I spotted this nest and the mama that was bringing food to her babies. I didn't stay long because she was NOT happy. This is an Eastern Wood-Pewee.
While staying here we took two days and drove part of the way north up the Natchez Trace and part of the way south. When we drove south we drove about 150 miles to Tupelo, Mississippi. The Trace is beautiful and all along the way there is so much history. We did not stop at every marker but stopped at a few. I was continually struck by the beauty. Mike, on the other hand thought there was a lot of 'sameness'. I never grew tired of it and feel very fortunate to have been here.
This is just a snap shot of what the Natchez Trace looks like. In some places it is more heavily wooded and in other places there might be fields of corn. Through the areas that we traveled, if your farm or home was close to the trace you did not have direct access onto the trace.
One of the historical locations that we visited was a tobacco farm. This is the building and inside there was some tobacco hanging. A bit further down the road we looked out over a farm that is being worked by a family in the area.
Another spot has the graves of 13 unidentified Confederate soldiers. It was not known whether they died in battle or from disease. Someone's son, or husband or brother was never accounted for.
The path leading to the graves.
Just a small sampling of the beauty!
At the end of the drive heading south we stopped and had lunch in Tupelo, Mississippi and also visited the birthplace of Elvis Presley.
This was the two room house that is father built and where his mother gave birth to him and his stillborn-twin brother. Below is the hardware store where he purchased his first guitar.....and the rest is history!
*******************
While passing through the unincorporated area of Sawdust, TN I came across this great 'photography find'. Mike thinks it is either a '48 or '49 Chevrolet. Isn't it awesome!!
Then, 'just down the road apiece', I saw this house off in the distance and behind it was this church. The church is an A.M.E. African American Methodist. Who knew!
Lastly....but most important of all, Darrell and Paige came by to visit us on their way to the Nashville airport to have lunch and bring a few things I had ordered off of Amazon. Before they left we had to snap a few of course. Darrell has got the best sense of humor, and just when he was getting ready to take the picture of Mike and I he made a comment about our Obamacare Insurance and our AARP. Mike totally lost it! So much fun!





4 comments:
Well SIL,
I do believe I enjoyed these pics more than any other. So much history...both sad and happy, but very memorable. I do have say I love love love the white squirrel. I would love to have one to add to my three.
What an amazing journey that you and Mike are doing...seeing so much of God's beauty. I wish I would have the opportunity to meet your brother and Paige.
I can't wait for the next chapter (blog).
Love you.
Thank you Sonja! Glad you enjoyed it. It was a bit long so I will add more tomorrow. I LOVE the white squirrel...beautiful!
You would love Darrell and Paige...so blessed to be spending time with them. He has truly got the best sense of humor.
We do feel very blessed to be doing what we are doing at this season in our life. We want to enjoy it to the fullest.
Love you....
Debbie, I love looking at all of your pictures, and hearing about your adventures. Looks like you two are having a great time. May God continue to bless you as you enjoy His beautiful creation.
Tell Laura that Heather would love to help her with some sewing, if she needs it, for the costumes she's making.
Love you guys!
I so love this post!! We are so happy that you all are in this part of the country. Your pictures are amazing. You are a great tour guide.
We are definitely looking forward to your return visit.
Sonya, would love to meet you also!
Love you and safe travels!
Post a Comment